Repair Quay Emergency Repairs — Cape Town
National Ports Authority Consulting Engineer:
Scope of Work
- Task involved the demolition of a section of damaged caisson and the reconstruction thereof.
- Primary damage was caused was caused when the oil rig's tender barge was forced down and then lifted, crushing the 12.000m x 4.000m x 0.500m reinforced concrete beam.
- The fragmented concrete had to be entirely broken back, with the intent of preserving as much of the existing reinforcement as possible.
- Badly damaged reinforcement was cut back using Brocco and replaced.
- A 12m U-shaped cofferdam shutter was fitted to the remaining concrete structure and supported to hold out the water as well as to carry the 26 tons of concrete.
- All joints in the shutter were sealed, so as to pump the shutter dry and wash the reinforcement with fresh water, before pumping concrete.